Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Third Recipe

Well, tonight, I made my third meal. This time, it was a chicken and rice skillet meal. This meal is a super easy meal to make in less than one hour. It has chicken, tomatoes, rice, celery, and onions. It also called for olives, but I did not add the olives. I will give the recipe, which I found in one of my Mama's cookbooks, later in this post. The taste was similar to that of a mexican lasagna, except without the tortillas. This recipe would taste great with any kind of meat that you would want to use. It is a one dish meal, so there is not a lot of clean up. And the dish that you do use, a large skillet, needs to be your largest skillet, as this recipe uses a lot of room in the skillet. I learned that the hard way. We all live and learn.
I also made corn on the cob to go with it. All in all, it was a delicious dinner.

God bless.

Catherine

Chicken-and-Rice Skillet Dinner

1/4 c flour
3/4 tsp seasoned salt (I used Chachere's seasoning)
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into small cubes
Olive oil
2-14 1/2 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1-1 1/4 oz package taco seasoning mix
1 c thinly sliced celery
1 small onion, chopped
1 can sliced olives (I did not use these)
1 c uncooked rice
1 c water
Shredded cheese

Combine flour and salt (or seasoning, whichever you use) in a large, heavy-duty zip-top bag; add chicken. Seal bag; shake to coat chicken thoroughly.
Brown chicken in hot olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes, or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.

1 comment:

  1. The chicken skillet dinner was delicious! I hope you repeat it sometime soon. (It would be a good camping dish!)

    ReplyDelete